Saturday, May 15, 2010

Date Night


We went to see the movie Date Night starring Steve Carell and Tina Fey last night. We had a good time. It started off really slowly and I was worried that we weren't going to laugh all that much. But as soon as the story picked up, so did the laughs. The actors did a great job of playing the stuck in a rut couple who were in way over their heads. A couple of one-liners really got us laughing. I guess the biggest problem with this movie, and most comedies coming out recently, is that the majority of the big laughs came from the trailers. I always hate when that happens. Why show us everything before we even get into the theater? Now don't get me wrong. There are still plenty of laughs in the show not in the preview. Tina Fey's ad-libbed lines as they create conversations of other couples on dates are to die for and the car chase scene with the cab is hilarious. Plus you get cameo after cameo to keep you smiling.
So despite the flaws, the actors give it their all to make this an enjoyable show. Probably more of a rent rather than shell out $20 but if you go to see Iron Man or Robin Hood and they are sold out, this is a great second option (if it sticks around...we were the only two in the theater on Robin Hood's opening night). Well worth a viewing if you haven't seen it yet. I'm giving it 3 and a half flapjacks out of five.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you rate the movies in flapjacks! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this movie on Monday-on a Girl's night out! We were the only ones in the theater too! haha. I LOVED it! I couldn't stop thinking about how funny it was. Maybe it's cuz I haven't seen this funny of a movie for a long time..... but I would totally go see it again. I loved Steve Carrell-I loved him in the dancing scene at the end, I loved his character calling that guy a whore, and I loved that the movie still had sweet moments. I like your blog a lot btw, keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete