Thursday, May 20, 2010

Iron Man 2


We just saw Iron Man 2 and I really enjoyed it. Now, before I continue I think I need to say that I enjoyed the first one better. The sequel was bigger, flashier, brought in more stars, and definitely moved the story along, but I think the first one was more fun. The original had constant one liners and it was fun to watch Stark try to figure it all out. While the comedy is still in the second and the back and forth with Tony and Senator Stern are fantastic, there is a real dark side to this movie that overpowers the light-hearted banter of the man on the hour, Mr. Jr. The script is heavier and that is okay. As Tony tries to handle his mortality he is shown as a flawed character. We all knew he was flawed but he was so darn funny that we ignored it. We can't turn a blind eye in the sequel. But we still root for Tony in this one and that is what matters. One of my favorite additions was Sam Rockwell. I love this guy. He was able to bring charm to his sleazy Justin Hammer. A great performance. Even Scarlet (I still sorta sound like a man) Johansson did well, especially when she is flipping through the air knocking dudes senseless. And Mickey Rourke gives a good performance as the bad guy with a sick sense of humor.
The effects of the movie are better than the first but the ending isn't that fulfilling. It feels like a repeat of the first movie. But the addition of War Machine is a welcome one. Although I didn't really like the way they wrote the character (he seemed bit whiney to me) War Machine rocks and I hope they keep him around.
There are plenty of ties to the Avengers movie coming up (which by the way is directed by Joss Whedon!!!!). Look for Captain America's shield, news footage from The Incredible Hulk, and stick around till after the credits for a secret scene. All in all, if you were waiting for summer movie season to start, look no further. It has arrived with the very entertaining Iron Man 2. Go see it, like it, love it, laugh, cry, ooo and aaaahhh. It is a fun ride and one I can't wait to see again. I give it four and a half resurrected Mickey Rourke movie careers out of five.
Plus doesn't this movie poster up top make it look like Iron Man is playing peek-a-boo? Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment